Monday 6 March 2017

Harvest Monday - 6th March 2017

Apologies for my prolonged absence! I'm returning to Harvest Monday for the first time in over 3 months because today I actually have a harvest to show off. It's the first of my Purple Sprouting Broccoli.




This variety is called "Rudolph", and is usually one of the first to mature. Today I have picked only 8 spears, which is just enough for the meal that Jane is planning to make for our Dinner - her "Sicilian Pasta with Broccoli".




PSB doesn't keep very well once it has been picked, and does not freeze successfully, which is why it is a good idea to grow plants of several different varieties, in the hope that they will mature at different times. In my garden this year, "Rudolph" is first, but will be closely followed by "Red Spear", with "Early Purple sprouting" coming along later.







There is precious little else in my veg-plot at present, because I am effectively starting again from scratch, so brace yourselves for more pics of PSB over the next few weeks!

6 comments:

  1. They look good. I thought I had a few plants of PSB left but they turned out to be Kale :) ... at least that's what I'm calling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that comment doesn't appear 4 times because it didn't appear to work so I tried multiple times until it did

      Delete
  2. Oh those look beautiful! I've never tried a purple variety before. I am growing a hybrid stir fry broccoli for the first time this year. Hopefully it will grow well here. I'm very new to the cooler weather plants. Look forward to more of your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking PSB Mark, and the pasta dish truly looks yummy as well. I never get tired of seeing good-looking veggies so please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look beautiful enough to paint! You would have enjoyed a lovely supper by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm quite envious of that PSB.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.